Welcome to Youth education, training and employment Wairarapa (YETE for short). With the support of REAP Wairarapa, we work collaboratively with young people, whānau, educators and youth-friendly businesses to ensure ALL young people aged 16-24 years in the Wairarapa have the opportunity to have successful pathways into education, training or employment.
YETE launched in 2013 with the focus to reduce the number of youth not in education, training and/or employment (NEETS). Since then, YETE has connected with local employers from a variety of industries who are now offering free employment-based opportunities to 16-24-year-olds and are wanting to connect with like-minded youth who are looking for work. Whether you’re looking for real experience, an informal chat over coffee, or a job in the graphic industry, YETE can help you get that break.
What events do we run for rangatahi (youth)?
• Visiting different businesses and talking with the employees and industry leaders
• The chance to find out about training and job opportunities in the industries
• Hands-on activities
• Morning tea and lunch to take along to business visits
What that looks like:
• Local employers sat at tables around the venue
• Each person to be interviewed by employers for approximately 8 minutes (students can join
together in pairs/small groups)
• After the bell rings, students will move onto the next employer
• Each person will have approximately 8 mock interviews
A hands-on day at the UCOL Wairarapa campus, designed to get Year 10 students thinking about their career options and the opportunities available at UCOL.
Do I have to be in school to attend these events?
Quick Fire Connections – No, you don’t have to be in school but you need to be at least 14 to attend.
Industry Big Day Out – Yes, you need to be in school to attend this event
Taster Days – Yes, you need to be in school to attend this event